I am all for comfort food…and am in even more favor of easy comfort food. So this Cheesy Fiesta Hash is my kind of grub – delicious and quick to the plate. My take on the classic hash features a spicy sausage and both cheddar and pepper jack for a super cheesy twist with a little kick and a lot of flavor!
You are going to flip over the deliciousness. This hash is one of my go-to meals and it’s versatility keeps it fresh even though it’s in frequent rotation on our table. We most often have it for dinner, but I’ve whipped it up for lunch and breakfast too.
I prefer to use a fresh chicken sausage in a spicy southwestern flavor, but you can use turkey Italian sausage or spicy breakfast sausage instead. I have even subbed the sausage for plain old ground chicken or turkey that I goosed up with canned diced green chilies and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
This dish also presents well because it’s so colorful – like a fiesta on the plate. You will want to use a small, thin skinned potato and any color bell pepper you like. I used a yellow pepper and baby yukon golds for this version but it turns out just as tasty and beautiful with red potatoes and green bell peppers too! My suggestion is to just buy what’s on sale.
Leftovers, if any, never last more than a day with this cheesy goodness!
Cheesy Fiesta Hash
- 1 Lb. Fresh Chicken Sausage in a spicy chipotle flavor (or any kind of sausage or ground meet of your choosing)
- 6-8 Small Thin-Skinned Potatoes, like baby red potatoes or baby yukon golds
- 2 Medium-sized Tomatoes
- 1 Bell Pepper, any color
- 1/2 Cup Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Remove the sausage from casings and crumble into a lightly oiled skillet. Brown over medium heat.
- Wash the potatoes, then dice into small cubes. Be sure they are about same size to ensure even cooking.
- Add the diced potatoes to the sausage and mix to combine. Season with salt and Pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the potatoes start to soften.
- While the potatoes cook wash the pepper and tomatoes and cut into small pieces.
- Add the pepper and tomato pieces to the pan and mix. Cook for an additional five minutes.
- Add the cheese and mix to combine it all.
- Remove from heat and serve!