These savory southwest-inspired egg rolls are meant to be dipped and with this cilantro lime cream you’ve got a match made in heaven.
You can bake or deep fry these babies, but I opt to do a shallow pan fry in coconut oil. The result is a not-too-greasy, crispy exterior surrounding a spicy, ooey-gooey, cheesy interior. YUM!
My recipe made 8 generously stuffed egg rolls, and there was plenty of egg roll wrappers left. If you want to stretch out the filling and use up the extra wrappers you can add drained black beans and corn. You won’t be disappointed no matter which route you go!
Here is what you need to make these bad boys and accompanying dip: Egg Roll Wrapper, Sour Cream, Ground Chicken Breast, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Jalapeno, Lime and Pepper Jack Cheese. I usually add a bell pepper as well but I forgot to do so this time. Also, as mentioned above if you want to stretch your egg roll filling you can add half a can each of drained corn and black beans.
Note: If adding the corn and black beans, do so at this point.
Pan fry the egg rolls in coconut oil. I used about 3 table spoons of oil and the egg rolls were not completely submerged so you will have to turn them over on every side to get a nice browned crisp all over.
Tip: Tear a small corner off one of the wrappers and drop it in the oil, if it immediately bubbles up, you’re ready to fry!
Place cooked rolls on a paper towel lines plate to absorb any excess oil. Get to work on the dipping sauce. Add one cup sour cream, one handful coarsely chopped cilantro, a pinch of kosher salt and the juice of one lime to a food processor or blender.
Arizona Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Cream
- 1 Package Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1 Lb. Ground Chicken Breast
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped with seeds removed
- 1/2 Jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced, minced even. You can add the whole jalapeno if you like it hot
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped into small pieces, seeds removed
- 1 Cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
Optional – half a can of drained corn and half a can or drained, rinsed black beans.
- Brown the chicken, making sure to break it up into small chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper, jalapeno and cilantro the the cooked chicken. If opting to add the corn and beans do so at this stage. Cook for a couple minutes then add the cheese.
- Place about two heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture diagonally onto a wrapper.
- Fold the bottom up and over the mixture, then fold in the sides. Next, roll the top down over the sides. Try to get it all as tight as possible. Be sure none of the filling is poking through. Repeat until filling is all used up.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Place the egg rolls in the hot oil. Because they will not be completely submerged in oil you will need to turn them on all sides to brown them all over.
- Place cooked rolls on a paper towel lines plate to absorb excess oil.
Cilantro Lime Cream:
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- Juice of One Lime
- 1 Big Handful Chopped Cilantro
- Pinch of Salt
- Add everything in a blender or food processor and pulse until well combined.
You’re now ready to get your dip on! Enjoy.